Fulton County Commissioners Award Bid for Courthouse Renovations
October 1st, 2018, (WAUSEON, OH) For the first time in over 145 years, the Fulton County Courthouse is nearly empty as it is being prepared for its historic renovation. During their regular session last week, the Fulton County Commissioners awarded a bid to Mosser Construction of Fremont, Ohio for $3,864,000.00 for this renovation. Pre-construction began today with crews working to remove the judge’s bench, courtroom seating, jury box and photos on the walls that are able to be removed for safeguarding and restoration.
Renovations are anticipated to take approximately ten months and will include historic restoration of the Common Pleas Courtroom, replacement of the heating and cooling systems, addition of security and technology features, installation of a new ADA compliant elevator and updates to the Clerk of Courts, Probate and Juvenile Courtroom and Offices.
Funding for the project will come from capital improvement funds, special accounts and from two separate grants from the Ohio Supreme Court for technology totaling $122,080.00. There will be no bond issue or borrowing.
As of October 1st, 2018, the offices of the Common Pleas Court, Magistrate’s Court and the Clerk of Courts are operating out of the Fulton County Administration Building at 152 S. Fulton Street, Wauseon, OH. The Probate and Juvenile Courts and Northwest Ohio Court Mediation have moved to 7320 State Route 108, Wauseon, OH, next to George’s Radio and Antenna Service. The County has received some reports that GPS isn’t accurately locating the Probate and Juvenile Court address.
The Fulton County Courthouse was constructed and completed in 1872. This Courthouse, which is owned by the county residents, used by the county residents and maintained for the county residents, is still in full use today. The Common Pleas Court, Clerk of Courts Legal Division and the Probate and Juvenile Courts all operate out of this Fulton County landmark.