February 19, 2014
SUBJECT: Request for Qualifications for Experienced Health and Benefits Consultant
The Board of Fulton County Commissioners is requesting statements of qualification for assistance with the design, implementation and development of health insurance, dental, vision, life, and other benefits for eligible Fulton County Employees. The Board wishes to contract with an experienced health care consultant for technical assistance. Services to be provided may include: (1) review plan design and recommend changes if necessary; (2) provide customer service call center to resolve customer service problems relating to claims adjudication and employee requests; (3) assist with installation of new vendors and new products; (4) spearhead annual renewal negotiations; (5) provide employee education and communication; (6) oversee the preparation of the actuarial certification relating to incurred claim reserve liability as necessary; (7) update the Board no less than quarterly on ongoing activities; and (8) provide other services and advice as requested by the Board.
It is the Board’s understanding that they are to provide for open competition for professional services whereby, at a minimum, competitors' qualifications are evaluated, and once a firm is tentatively selected, fair and reasonable compensation is negotiated. The Board is, therefore, inviting interested individuals and firms located within a reasonable distance to submit evidence of their professional qualifications, and related information, as follows.
1. General background of firm; number of years in operation providing technical assistance for the design, implementation and development of health insurance benefits; other services provided including any which might represent a conflict of interest.
2. How many group clients do you advise and how many of them are in the public sector?
3. What are the primary components used in your customer service function?
4. What are the elements in your plan design consulting?
5. What services do you perform with regard to new installations of vendors?
6. What posture do you take in annual renewal negotiations and what influence or access do you enjoy with the marketplace?
7. Describe the role you play in employee education and communication.
8. Describe the role you play with Health Care Reform – Affordable Care Act.
9. Describe your reporting philosophies and capabilities and provide examples.
10. Describe the process that you follow in preparing the actuarial certification, including incurred claim reserve liability.
11. Comment on your experience with self-funded and fully-funded groups. Is there a particular funding strategy you prefer to use with public sector groups? Why?
12. Are there any other services that differentiate your firm from your competitors?
13. Provide written assurance of no direct or indirect involvement of any individual, immediate relatives, firm principles, or the firm itself with any of the insurance vendors or administrators that may be considered.
14. Provide your fee requirements and any incentive program if applicable.
15. Are you willing to enter into a multiple year contract? If yes, how would that impact your fee requirements?
16. If your firm brokers insurance products, what assurances do you offer that its brokerage activity will not influence your consulting work?
17. Provide professional staff resumes, including years of experience primarily involved in the design process; also indicate which staff would most likely be involved in professional services to the county for interview selection.
18. Detail experience in providing professional services to clients in Northwest Ohio, and/or clients of similar sizes, locations and characteristics.
All statements of qualifications and related information must be received in the Board’s office on or before March 14, 2014 at the following address:
Board of Fulton County Commissioners
152 South Fulton Street, Suite 270
Wauseon, Ohio 43567
It is the Board’s intent to give reasonable consideration to at least three firms and/or individuals based on their qualifications so as to have one or several alternative consultants, which could be asked to enter into negotiations, if negotiations with the preferred consultant are not satisfactory.
Thank you for your interest.
Laura L. Howell
Director of Organizational Development
cc: Vond T. Hall, County Administrator