Staying Healthy Program
The Ohio Department of Aging has rewarded Fulton County Senior Center $48,600 in additional funding for a new, short-term program to provide meals for older adults affected by the on-going COVID-19 public health emergency. The Staying Healthy program engages area agencies on aging and local, small-business restaurants to deliver free meals to seniors in our communities.
Fulton County Senior Center will direct the program locally with a focus on serving seniors who live in rural Pettisville area. "Pettisville does not have a satellite site or convenient access to nutrition options, and Das Essen Haus was evaluated as having the ability to reach this population," added Sheri Rychener, Fulton County Senior Center Director. "This program is designed to support our current services and not replace. We look forward to trying a new approach that should provide some insight on new ways to expand our services within the community that will ultimately benefit our seniors in the area."
Das Essen Haus owner, Becky Rhodes stated, "We are excited to serve the seniors of Pettisville in this capacity. We aim to provide great quality homemade food along with exceptional customer service while supporting our community growth. We appreciate the opportunity to carry out our mission. Thank you to Fulton County Senior Center for their support with this program and for allowing us to play a vital part." The restaurant will offer limited contact, stagger pick up options or delivery options for participants. Meals may be hot or cold and will be made available for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Dine in is not an option with this initiative.
Funding for Staying Healthy is provided by the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
- Seniors age 60 and over
- Pettisville School district only
How to Register
- Call the Fulton County Senior Center at (419) 337-9299
- Fill out an initial intake form and return to Senior Center (filled out once per senior)
- Request vouchers
- Donations to the Senior Center are accepted
How to Request Meal After Registration
- Call Das Essen Haus to request a meal from available menu items
- Orders must be called in at least 24 hours in advance
- Specify carry-out or delivery
- Each meal not to exceed $10 value
- Buffet not included
- Delivery available Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. daily
- Pick-up for carry-out at Das Essen Haus, 4986 Co. Rd. 19, Wauseon, Ohio
- Call the Fulton County Senior Center to register for vouchers
- Pick-up vouchers in person at the Fulton County Senior Center, 240 Clinton Street, Wauseon, Ohio between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (closed on holidays).
- 2 vouchers per person per week
- A meal voucher will cover one breakfast, lunch, or dinner
- Vouchers only cover meal, not extras (Extras include items such as salads, pies, breads, etc. These are available at additional cost.)
- Hand voucher in to a Das Essen Haus employee when you pick up your meal
Fequently Asked Questions & Answers
1. Can we use more than 2 vouchers each week if we did not use them the week before?No. However, they do not have a date on them and will not expire until the end of the program.
2. Do I qualify if I own land in Pettisville, but no longer live in the district?
No. You must currently reside in the Pettisville school district. The grant is based on location, not tax district.
3. Can I use my voucher for someone else?
No. We have to account for the meals in our state database, so whoever is listed on the voucher must receive the meal.
4. Can I help pick up vouchers for someone who is eligible when I pick mine up?
Yes. Please encourage anyone who is eligible to sign up for the program.
5. Can I tip my driver?
No. The grant covers delivery. We do encourage donations to be sent to the Fulton County Senior Center to help cover operational costs. Our suggested donation for meals is $2/meal.
6. Do I need to call ahead for a meal?
Yes. Das Essen Haus has requested at least 24 hours in advance if possible.
7. Can I use more than 1 voucher a day?
No. Please make sure that your name is listed on the voucher. No duplicates can be entered into our system.
8. Can I use my voucher for any meal on the menu?
Yes (and no). The meal cannot exceed $10.00. Meals can include choices from the breakfast, lunch or dinner menu.
9. Can I apply my voucher to a meal that costs more than $10.00 and pay the difference?
No. You must choose a meal that is $10.00 or less.
9. Can I call ahead for vouchers when I run out?
Yes. Please call 419-337-9299 and we will have them ready for pickup. We can bring them out to your vehicle if that works best for you. Feel free to use the envelope provided for your donations.